background

Thursday 14 June 2012

What I Wear to Work

Clothes reflect the way you feel and sometimes they can even influence the way you feel. For example, I've spent the last 48 hours feeling sorry for myself with suspected food poisoning and therefore have worn a comfy grey hoodie and holey old leggings and benefited greatly from the reassurance you can only get from your 'scruffs'. 

That's why it's really important to decide the pieces that make it into your work wardrobe. It gives you a boost to wear a smart top that you reserve for critical meetings and similarly having a good stock of 'civvies' helps you to feel more off duty on your days off.

I'm not saying go out and buy a whole load of new clothes but think of the key pieces you have at the moment that you can build a functional, smart and expressive capsule that you can interchange to suit your day.

Interview jacket making an appearance to toughen up a feminine floaty dress

I wear this with opaque tights, heeled loafers and a  caramel de-constructed blazer

Smart slippers, working in live events can be almost impossible in heels!

A range of scarves, tied in many different ways update your more plain staples
I pad my work selection with:
  •  three pairs of trousers:- 1 pair of smart black skinnies and 2 pairs of linen trousers, 1 black and 1 a putty/mushroom colour
  • a couple of long sleeved neutral tops and some short sleeved tops and two shirts, 1 plain and 1 patterned
  • 2 pairs of flats and 1 pair of heels (and a pair of wellies- I work at a festival)
  • A selection of quirky, cute costume jewellery to make me smile!
I'd really like to add some cardigans and a breton top to my work stuff but can't find any that I like. On the look out though especially loving monki at the moment and think I will probably get some pieces from there.

3 comments:

  1. I love the first outfit you've put together, I like combine something really feminine with something more tough like that cool jacket! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shorts! I was thinking of getting some shorts for work (if we get a summer this year) I prefer to wear heels to work but I don't want to look like an extra from a 50cent video, so what type of heeled shoe would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tasha! You know the shorts are really good if you have to go out in the rain as unlike trousers, they don't mop the floor! I wear these http://www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/shoes/black-parallel-wedge_251713601?productFind=search as another option, they don't look much but they are really nice on and are so so comfy! Alternatively, keep your eye on TK Maxx as they have some great smart mid heels that are usually a total bargain! xx

      Delete